Monday, February 23, 2015

Musings




I was pondering as I read from the New Testament this morning and a passage hit me differently then it ever had before.  What the passage was is not so important as what occurred to me. 

How do we really know what a passage of scripture means?  Do we only read the words and get the context in which they were written?  Is that enough or do we need more?  Trying to understand the historical background and setting can also help but can we really know what someone was trying to say by our interpretation and experience of the words we see alone?  When I looked at the passage and how I know it could be interpreted by some and then thought about Christ and applied that interpretation to what I know from more of scripture and my own inner sense of who I know Christ to be it did not fit.  When I read the passage in the light of who I know Christ to be, I heard it differently. 

I realize my light, my understanding of Christ is incomplete and limited but I need to follow the light that leads me and the inner voice I hear. 

No comments: