Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Raising Claire and Gwen

There have been a number of things the girls have said lately that I keep meaning to get down but seem to never find the time. Here are some of them.

Claire and Gwen are taking part in this Junior Acolyte program and soon they will be carrying in the cross during one of the morning services. The leader had explained to them, that the one carrying the cross was not to be the center of attention, that at church God is the most important one. Later that night as I was laying in Claire's bed saying prayers with her, I asked her if she knew why we worship God and why He is most important. Claire (who has been feeling quite slighted by any attention her sister gets lately) answered grumpily "Because He always wants to be the center of attention!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gwen told me the other day she met the boy she was going to marry! There is a little boy named Jacob who she sees on the playground at school. She had told me how they had played in the sand together and how he says hi to her. Thinking how cute and innocent this all was, I was sharing the news with my niece Meghan (in front of Claire and Gwen) and how Gwen plays with Jacob in the sand box. Then Claire real serious says "only Mom, there is no sand box!". My mind is quicky flashing back to one of my teenage sisters excuses she used to secretly meet up with her boyfriend, arrrggghhh! "Claire, what do you mean there is no sandbox?!" "Well mom, there is a sand pile, but no sandbox". Whew! I still have a few years!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday Gwen did not want to go to school. When she woke up she told me she needed to stay home with Grandma because she believed she had diarrhea, though trust me that is something mom's do not usually miss noticing! Next, she decided her throat was scratchy and insisted I take her temperature. Normal temperature (she has not learned the light bulb trick yet). So I inform her she needs to go to school and to go get dressed. I hear Claire and her mulling around in their bedroom and pretty soon Claire, who is dressed for school, comes to inform me that "sister says she is going to throw up in 30 minutes. Really, she is not making it up!" As I glance down the hall I see Gwen has put on fresh pajamas and her bathrobe. I had to laugh though I did tell her that she would look pretty funny being the only one at school with her PJ's on!

No comments: