Monday, October 29, 2007

Scamming the Tooth Fairy


As I was driving the girls to school the other day my oldest (Claire) said to me that her tooth was so loose she thought she could pull it out. I told that was fine if she wanted to do that. Secretly, I was glad she wanted to do it herself because the thought of pulling it out for her made my knees buckle (I am not sure how I ever was able to loose my own baby teeth). Claire decided she would wait until she got to school so then she could get a “tooth badge” or maybe it was a “tooth bag”. Either way, it was good because I didn’t have to get involved!!!

I zoned out again for awhile only to tune in later and hear my youngest (Gwen) convincing Claire to put the tooth under her pillow. Claire pleasantly said “Okay and you can get the money”. I tell you, my future is looking scary; I have one budding scam artist and another innocently, trusting one just waiting to be scammed and cheerfully at that!

However, Claire is not unintelligent, as she did think to tell her sister that she better not smile in her dreams or the Tooth Fairy would know that it was not her tooth. She then began to ponder deeper and stated in an inquiring way “The Tooth Fairy doesn’t see us, right mom?” I assume this was to mean like God or Santa Claus. So Claire then deduced that the Tooth Fairy must visit every child’s bed every night and check under each pillow for teeth that have fallen out. And if the whole conversation wasn’t crazy or humorous enough, I found myself thinking that this is terribly inefficient and there must be some way to send alerts to the tooth fairy only from beds with teeth in them!!!


No comments: