Saturday, November 03, 2007

SHOTS!

Today is flu shot day! I broke it to the girls last night that they were getting a flu shot. Oh the wailing and bargining that ensued! Come to think of it, I believe they traversed all the different stages of grief within a minute's time and in unison.

The settling phase was when they talked me into buying them a toy for taking the shot with reasonable calmness. Of course they had several examples of friends at school that have already received a toy for taking the shot (I smell a conspiracy). I am sure I probably broke some proper parenting rule but the instant gratification of no more whining was too much for me!!!

Later, as we lay down to go to sleep the girls were so emotionally worn out that they weren't really up to saying our night-time prayer themselves. Gwen offered up a small one and then I finished it by thanking God that the shots would be okay and to help the girls be brave, when all at once Claire found a reserve of energy to holler out "No it won't, God!" Somehow her prayer seemed a lot more honest than mine.

No comments: